Monday, March 9, 2015

Inner Suzie: #7 - Learn the art of cake decorating


On my very first post I listed off the things I wanted to do in my life, at least this year.  It wasn't much and it's probably minuscule in general, but those are my desires and I have to say, I'm making good progress!

I decided to take buttercream basics at Joann Fabrics.  This
cake decorating class was a lot of fun!  There were only three students, myself included, and the other two ladies were good friends.  Needless to say that I felt like a third wheel.  Next time I'm bringing a friend to take a class with me.
Anyway, I learned a TON of stuff and made some pretty amazing things.  This was my first cake using piping gel and certain tips to create this awesome owl.  It was a Thursday night class and I had a random cake for Friday for no reason.  So I just made up some cute little saying. 
I used the guava puree and mixed it in with my buttercream recipe and MAN! Was it good!!!
My last class we were to design with roses.  I don't like the look of roses because it looks too old lady-like.  But of course I was pretty good at it.  Ask me to do a daisy?  Yeah, it would look like a horror show, but roses I can do :)  

This cake was a cream cheese frosting so it was harder to frost the thing!  Ugh!  I destroyed the first cake.  The cake you see was my second attempt.  Practice makes (almost) perfect!


But nothing beats the birthday cake I made for myself.  Lemon and strawberry cake with guava buttercream colored blue.  Not only was it beautiful, it was YUMMY!



So, now that I have this down path, I will be making desserts and little cakes for holidays to come.   I'm getting better at taking pictures while I create stuff, so I look forward to doing step by step tutorials in the future.  Stay tuned! 



2 comments:

  1. okay. I need a lesson from you! I got all the tools but totally suck at it. Help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can have a cake decorating night! Your house, my house, I don't care! Let's do it! :)

      Delete